Thursday, January 19, 2006

1/19/06

8:17 a.m.

I wake up when my alarm goes off at 6am this morning. I kick my feet over the edge of the bed and step down on something strange that is definitely not the floor. I look down. My dumbbells. What are they doing out here? Was I exercising in my sleep? "Hmph." I kick them back under the bed where they belong. Along with an old banana peel and an empty cake box.

I throw on my robe and slippers and shuffle out toward the kitchen, passing by Baby Jesus and his pals in the nativity scene that I still haven't put away since Christmas. I wave.

I glance over at the Christmas tree...needles scattered in a pretty round carpet around the base. I consider (briefly) getting my act together and throwing it away before I start a fire from the friction of my shuffling slippers one morning. Instead, I yawn and turn away. I do not see the Christmas decorations. Reality is what I make of it. Mind over matter.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whose schedule are you trying to keep? There's only one Martha Stewart (thank goodness). You're just being Festive, keeping the Christmas spirit alive (tho' your tree be dead - but that's beside the point). Have a great day!

twsjta - twisita, Mexican a seniorita who puts on her tight blue jeans.

Higgy said...

We keep finding stuff all over the house that belongs in the Xmas boxes... I'll just pile them up and make one big trip to the garage to put them all away....

One day....

Suzanne said...

You're not alone...we have TWO christmas trees to take down. However, this being Florida, I caved and bought artificial trees.

Put some red hearts all over it and it can be a valentine's tw

Anonymous said...

Polly,

That's nothing. A few years ago I finally got around to ditching the tree in July. It just became part of the furniture and subsequently ignored.

BB