Monday, May 09, 2005

5/9/05

4:00 a.m. Let's see... I went to bed at 12:30 this time. Wow. I'm in good shape. 3.5 hours. Well, that's better, anyway. I get up and take a quick shower. Today I am going to Boston on a week-long business trip. I have been promoted to supervisor in our firm and we are having our annual meeting at the corporate headquarters.

I have a lot to do before I go. I've barely started packing. I refuse to check luggage when I fly because it seems everytime I do, something terrible happens. Last time was when I flew into O'Hare on a red-eye. I was sick with what turned out to be Strep, but being as I was on vacation, I couldn't see a doctor. I had it for probably 5 days by the time I flew back home. Anyway, as you can guess, my bags were nowhere to be found. I spent 2 hours in line with other unlucky travelers waiting to fill out a claim. There were three people working that night and about 60 of us without luggage. Amazingly, not ONE of the people behind the counter spoke English as a first language. In fact, they barely even spoke it as a SECOND language. I remember the Indian guy trying to get help from the Spanish lady. Ha ha. I have to admit that was funny despite being feverish and coughing up blood...

5:03 a.m., I am cleaning. I don't know about you guys, but when I get home from a trip there is nothing more depressing then a messy house. I look in the fridge. A tomato. 5 onions. Salsa. 2 dozen eggs. 3 pounds of butter. Mrs. Butterworth. Well, I could make scrambled eggs. If I had time. Which I don't. And why do I have so much butter? Instead, I consume exactly 13 pills designed to keep me healthy in lou of a crappy diet. Breakfast a la The Jetsons.

6:10 a.m., I plan on vaccuming at 7:30. I bet the college guys downstairs will love me for that. I get dressed and look at myself in the mirror. Somehow I scream prostitute this morning. Perhaps the pink capri pants with the hot pink heels is a bit too much. I change into my favorite jeans and flip flops. Ah. Better.

7:30 a.m., Okay, time to wake up the neighbors. I'll write later from Bean Town.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least when you go through airport security they'll think your stun gun is a cell phone, right?

Have a great trip!

Anonymous said...

Polly - can you listen to WCRE - we picked a song for you!!!

Anonymous said...

Have fun in Boston Polly! Should be warmer than when I was there, but then you live in WI so it is probably cold in both locals

Anonymous said...

Ditto having fun Polly.

Question: if you have to get up at 4:00am, why do you go to bed at 12:30am? Sounds like something #1 son would do, only he needs to get up at more like 8:30am....

Anonymous said...

Wys.. same reason I can't seem to get more than about 5 hours sleep a night. Your body adjusts after a bit and you forget that there are more hours available for sleeping, because you just automatically wake up it keeps happening even when you desperately want to sleep.

Polly... probably too LTTG, but don't drink too much of the airplane booze. Oh, and enjoy the trip blah blah blah.

Strep is really bad news. Sorry you had to go through all that. I've had it lots and, FWIW, I'd rather have a dose of the really nasty flu.

Anonymous said...

Don't fall into "The Big Dig"

PollyME said...

El, what was the song? I was in meetings all day (blah) and missed it.