Thursday, June 30, 2005

6/30/05

6:59 a.m. I ate deer brains for dinner last night. And they were pretty good, too. I'm not sure what possessed me to order deer brains other than the fact that I was in a very fancy French restaurant and wanted to try something I'd never eaten before. I am glad I got dressed up when I walk down from my room. I knew it would be posh, but I am still a little surprised. This restaurant is supposed to be the best on the island.

The servers are in crisp black suits and bow ties. I am seated at a table overlooking the pool in the center of the room. Very nice. There are several groups of people around me dressed to the nines in suits and sparkly dresses. I smooth down my dress. I am wearing a black and white knee length Asian style dress with black heels. My hair is up in a French Twist.

I cross my legs and sit back in my chair. I am an observer. It is my job. So I enjoy watching the interactions of the buisness people and couples surrounding me. After a few minutes, I pick up the menu. I decide on the deer brain appetizer, a halibut entre with a lovely white sauce that reminds me of lobster bisque, and a chocolate souffle with orange sauce for dessert. The food is fantastic and I savor every bite. Um.. except I can't finish my brains. It's not that the flavor is bad. They are rather neutral, actually, and seem to take on the flavors they are mixed with. I think it's the texture that bothers me. They have the consistency of a stiff pudding or cooked eggs. I slice off a cross section and look closer. The little anatomist in my mind notes the lack of gray matter. Deer aren't very bright. Still, I am a slightly disturbed to be eating another animal's brain. Can you get Mad Cow Disease from a deer? Mad Deer Disease?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe Mad Scientist desease?

Come Igor, we must hurry, the storm approaches. The creature must be prepared.......

It's Alive! It's Alive!

DonnaJo said...

I apparently put my own brain in backasswards this morning. At first, I thought you said you had beer drains for dinner.

Fried brain sandwiches are a big hit in South St. Louis bars. At least they were; I understand they've been taken off the menus due to Mad Cow scare. I've never had the inclination.

But the halibut sounds wonderful...as does that souffle.

PS They have deer in Puerto Rico?

Anonymous said...

She's MAD! I tell ya! MAD!

sly, only the "bright" deer survive in P.R.

Leetie said...

FRIED BRAIN SANDWICHES???!!!!!

Anonymous said...

*echoes of Leetie*

FRIED BRAIN SANDWICHES???

*HURL*

Anonymous said...

Even I will say "yuck" to this one.

We don't know enough about brains to go around trying to eat them.

What if you ate the whole thing, and then you started having memories that weren't yours?! What if, instead of craving chocolate, you found yourself constantly longing for some tasty bermuda grass?! Even the French restaurants don't sell that! You'd STARVE!

And suppose you began having nightmares about the hunter who stole your mother from you when you were just a wee fawn who liked to frolic in the fields with a gay skunk and a horny rabbit?

...Ok, I'll stop. Sorry.

Anonymous said...

Ummm... well....just because you asked:

http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/1029352007.html

PollyME said...

Lorrie,

((twitch))

I wonder if the Pwerrrto Reeekan deer population has issues with chronic wasting disease.

((twitch))

For some reason I've lost feeling in my left leg.

((twitch))

Anonymous said...

Don't worry Polly Prion disease take 20-30 years for symptoms to occur. You'll be old an senile and forget all about the deer brains you ate before you ever get sick.

Anonymous said...

Deer brain appetizer and sagging face tumors. I am so glad I didn't read these before eating.

I'm a pretty good eater but brains are definitely on the other side of the "yes/maybe/no way in hell" line.

Anonymous said...

LOL, Mad!

JD Rhoades said...

What if you ate the whole thing, and then you started having memories that weren't yours?! What if, instead of craving chocolate, you found yourself constantly longing for some tasty bermuda grass?!

But my deer, think of the fawn we could have....

-Buck

Joan Reeves said...

Hey, Polly. I see someone else told you about chronic wasting disease. As far as I know, they've only found it in Montana.

As to my friend in PR, he is an occupational therapist and evaluates workmen's comp claims patients here and in PR. If he could clone himself, he'd be a millionaire.

Anonymous said...

tssk tssk tssk first world toffs! if it doesnt kill u, it'l make u fat! (which is a good thing)