Thursday, June 09, 2005

6/9/05

6:45 a.m. I am irritated with myself for waking up at 6am when I could have slept in. I kick my way out of the blankets on my bed and trip over a pile of laundry. Not a good start. I walk to the kitchen and put a pot of water on the stove.

Today I will be traveling down to Texas so I can infiltrate that church I'd mentioned in an earlier post. I sit down to the computer and dig around for a bit of information. A few minutes later, I click on some photographs from their official website. I think I figured out why this case has been worked 5 times without results. Judging from the pictures, I believe 99% of the parishoners are black. Don't ask me what the other 1% are. Probably Italians.

Sigh. It can't ever be easy.

Well, it would probably look suspicious if I went in there saying I'm intending to join. I change my strategy. I think I will pose as a graduate student in theology doing research on different sects.

I might even be able to videotape the service openly if he thinks I'm doing it for my doctoral thesis... hmmmm.

7 comments:

Jeff Meyerson said...

Or, you could tell them you're Mariah Carey's half-sister.

slyeyes said...

Don't forget to wear a large hat.

Higgy said...

Sly - I've seen "Crowns" - one of the best plays that the Arena Stage did (in Washington.)

Polly - the problem with the graduate student approach is the possibility of opening yourself up to questions about your research. I couldn't BS my way through that. How about a student of architecture or something else (where they don't have expert knowledge versus your faking it?)

Polly P.I. said...

Higgy,
That is a good point and I'd considered it. I am quite versed in a couple of different religions, though, and if I pose as a scholar in one of those particular faiths, I should be able to convince him I'm legit.

Higgy said...

Polly - you might also want either a student ID or a letter of introduction from a college to lend weight to your story. What if they want to check you out with the school you say you're coming from?

Call me paranoid, but I could see them doing so...

Brat said...

Sly is 100% correct (speaking from experience) visiting churches where we were the only anglos.

slyeyes said...

Higgy, I missed Crowns when it was here, but heard great reviews about it. I hope it returns.